After thinking on it for a week, Matt and I packed Charlie in the car today and drove up to PetCo for a meet-and-greet with Lola.
The tortie kitten was sleeping in her cage when we arrived. I poked at her back through the cage bars, and the rescue volunteer came up to see if we needed help.
I explained we spotted Lola last week, and that we wanted to see her up close and personal. Also, we brought our dog to make sure they were compatible.
The man opened the cage door and grabbed Lola by the nape of her neck. He pulled her in close to his chest, but invited me to pet her.
We chit-chatted. I told him that we were expert cat owners. I shared about Pink, and how we lost her to kidney disease last fall. I explained Charlie loved Pink, that they often played and even slept together.
Matt lifted Charlie up in the air and gently pushed his snout toward Lola. Both of them seemed nonplussed. No big deal at all.
I reached in and rubbed Lola again. I was wondering if he was ever going to let me hold her. I pushed my hand between her and the adoption guy, and he pulled her closer.
“How about if I put her down so Charlie can sniff her?” he asked.
I thought it was odd that he clearly didn’t want me to hold the cat, but that he was going to let Charlie and Lola interact.
He put Lola down, and Charlie hid behind Matt’s knees. No signs of aggression at all.
The man encouraged us to fill out an adoption application, or to do it online when we got home. I felt odd about filling put an application for a cat I never got to hold. How would I know if she would cuddle me??
We agreed that we would think about it.
As we walked away, we were surprised to see Angry Eyebrows run up to him. We wondered if she had told him about our dog door.
On the drive home, we discussed our options. Matt was upfront. He didn’t think we were ready for a cat.
“You’re about to have surgery,” he said to me. “I have concerns about the cat jumping on your stomach, or even about the cleanliness of another animal in the house as you recover.”
I understood. I wondered if it would be too much transition right before I was out of commission for six weeks. How fair would it be to get a cat (that I wanted) and to expect Matt to care for it while I recuperated? Not that Matt wouldn’t want to care for Lola, but I believe if I’m going to get an animal, it should be a joint effort to care for it. And if I know I’m going to be down-for-the-count for six weeks, why not wait until I am healthy enough to coparent?
We would not be adopting Lola.
This decision made me sad, but in the end I felt it was the best for this sweet kitten.
I know the right cat will come to me.
And at the next close encounter, I will be ready.
(((kdkh))) Thank you.
😦 Meh. I’m sorry! It sounds like it’s a well considered decision, but still difficult.
Awwe, thanks for your kind words. 🙂
Always a hard decision to make but these things have a way of working out for the best.
I know you are right. Thank you.
Not the happy ending I was hoping for, but if Lola was right, it would’ve happened. Your new cat is waiting for you right now, and will be waiting for you when you’re ready. First things first. This will be a happy ending.
Thanks Genevieve! 🙂
maybe it’s better to wait for YOUR cat and for the moment Angry Eyebrows is absent ;o) but I’m glad Charlie was such a good boy ;o)
Awwe, thanks Easy. I know I can’t push this. I feel the right moment is just around the corner. 🙂
I’m sorry to hear that, but the right cat is just around the corner! I agree, how very strange not to let you hold the Lola!
Pingback: Meeting Cora … and her 25 toes | Our Furever Family